Friday, October 29, 2010

Look What I Got!!!

So I have this wall in my living room that I've absolutely hated since we moved in. I just haven't known what to do with it. I've tried a few things here and there and it just wasn't working for me. Then I decided after seeing some beautiful secretaries out there in bloggy land that it was just what the wall needed. I searched at Round Top. I searched at Canton. I found a lot I loved... but the price tags made me gasp. I was not willing (or able) to spend $400-$500 on one of these babies. Enter CRAIGSLIST! I found this....

Now, I don't like the wharf design on it so that will get covered up (or opened so you can't see it). But I got this for $125 (and it has a lighted hutch). I couldn't believe that it was still available when I called the lady. I am pretty excited... but now I don't know what to do with it and here is where I need YOUR help!!! Do I paint it, do I stain it, do I leave it as is (and fold down the drop desk to hide the wharf?)?


Will you help me, pretty please?? I've got both black and stained furniture in the living room right now. My walls are cream colored. My gut is to go bold and do red with this piece. The sofa is leather, I have a greenish goldish chair that will be close by. If I was on the ball I'd show you pictures of my room... but that requires some advance planning and I just don't have motivation right now! :)

11 comments:

  1. Great find! Can't wait to see what you do with it, oh red....

    ReplyDelete
  2. well you waited this long why not just put it where you want to place it let it sit there for a spell and it will click that it is lovely the way it is or it needs painted......it is a very nice piece the lady gave it away thats for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous piece. If you have room, I would definitley open it up so you can see the pretty desk part with all of the cubbies. I agree with Chris, I would put it in the room as is and live with it for a while, then you will know what to do with it. Great find. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is gorgeous! wish i could find steals like that! whatever you do it'll be great, cant wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The great thing about secretaries is they always look good painted. However, yours is in really good shape as is. I would keep it that way, open in up (more to decorate that way!) and live with it. I like mixing woods in my rooms - it adds to the warmth of a room. Kudos on your find - I do a weekly series on Craig's List - I've gotten most of my favorite things there.
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful piece! It looks great opened up. I would definitely NOT paint it. It is in good condition and looks wonderful. (I think people in blogland are too quick to paint things... and you really can't go back.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I think it is gorgous. I think I'd have to paint it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say leave it as is for a bit and see how you feel and what color comes to mind. Painting the inside might be tricky with all those cubbies, so if you just paint the outside you will want it to be a color that goes with the wood. Email me if you have any questions about painting it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd do the paint thing. Why? Because most of these are stained anyway and yours would likely be so pretty all dolled up! Love it and can't wait to see what you do with it!!

    P.S. if you decide not to paint it, you could put chalkboard paint over the scene and add some different (black) hardware. that way you cover up the scene and add a little whimsy without committing to painting the entire thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great piece of furniture! Don't you just love Craigslist? I think staining it would be pretty but I love your idea to go red. Immediately I thought about this piece that I saw in blogland recently.
    http://thecraftingchicks.com/2010/09/dining-room-hutch-makeover.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. check out the post right here Do you have a spam problem on this blog; I also am a blogger, check out this site and I was wondering your situation; many of us have developed some nice procedures and we are looking to swap strategies with other folks, check out your URL please shoot me an e-mail if interested. check over here

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails